Monday, May 23, 2011

Open-Top-SEE

My funds are limited but I can’t just sit down and leave my bike park in the garage so I decided to do a top overhaul by myself and see what happens.
·         I managed to dismantle the whole engine down and put it on a table.
  • ·         Removed the chain and sprocket cover.
  • ·         Unbolted the sprocket from the camshaft.
  • ·         Release the chain tension rod.
  • ·         Took out the overhead camshaft cover. The rocker arm is built in the cover.
  • ·         Removed the cylinder head.
  • ·         Lifted the camshaft and check the bearings. It’s OK. 
I took the cylinder head to a motorcycle repair shop for a ‘grind-valve’ job. And there it is the main culprit - A broken valve guide and probably a dented valve.  It has to be taken to a machine shop for repairs.
I checked the piston, piston rings, and the cylinder. No visible signs of wear and tear. It’s a still reasonably tight fit. I didn’t bother to check on the gaps because I think that it’s still good. I just check and clean the lubricating holes. I also checked the connecting rod and crankshaft bearings. There’s no perceptible rocking movement or up-and-down play.
I cleaned and change the broken gaskets and use the same old metal gasket because I’m planning to do a complete overhaul pretty soon.
I carefully refit everything back and follow the tightening sequence and feeling the right torque I set the intake and exhaust valve clearances.
After a few try the engine is running again. I tuned the carburetor and set just the minimum tickover.  
I’m back on the road again. The road test make me suspect that the exhaust valve needs more regrinding. Well that will be taken care of the next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment